I do, however, want to report on what my general experience in urban schools has been like:
I've had a few different experiences at this point. Most of my experience has been as an observer in Ms. Verity's 4th, 5th and 6th period classes. One of these classes is an AVID course, which is a college preparatory program, and the others consist of a Freshman World History class and a Senior AP government class. Between these classes their are apparent differences, namely in maturity, and behavior. While the AP seniors are never a problem, the other two classes can get a little distracted. Luckily, Ms. Verity is an excellent teacher and she keeps the distractions to a minimum.
I have also observed another teacher, who will remain nameless. While he is also a veteran teacher, it's clear that he has less control of the class. The one class I observed of his was also a Senior AP course (European History I believe), only these students were aware of the control they had over the direction of the class. When I walked in, they were having a content related discussion in a Socratic format, but that quickly changed to a discussion centered around me and my presence in the class. The teacher's attempts to get the students back on track were, minimal and futile. It was also 7th period and I think that he had retired for the day.
Finally, I also had an opportunity a few years ago to observe at a school in Miami-Dade (Opa Locka, specifically). This was a dramatically different experience than my current one at Jones. For one, the teacher I observed clearly did not know what they were doing. This particular school was one of those that has the revolving door affect and this teacher was new to the profession and my bets are that they did not last. The students walked all over him and his lack of preparation was apparent in his instruction.
These three examples show the difference that the teacher makes in the classroom. Through talking with teachers and professors and observing, I have come to understand how important classroom management is to getting work done. In the above examples, there are three different levels of classroom management taking place and the effects of each are apparent. Also teacher self-efficacy is clearly a variable that adds or takes away from the quality of instruction. While the first two teachers were obviously confident in their abilities to teach, the third teacher was very unsure of himself. The self-efficacy part is no issue for me. I feel confident in my abilities and I doubt that this will be an issue for me. Hopefully this will lend to quality classroom management. I have practically no experience with my own classroom so I really have nothing to go on. I am looking forward to my internship in the Fall to gain this experience.
Hi Joey,
ReplyDeleteI'm new to following your blog (better late than never, right?). Your observation here couldn’t be more astute; teachers who lack the fundamental ability to manage their classroom and don’t set the tone from the very beginning are fighting a losing battle in terms of ever successfully teaching their subject matter. You mention your lack of experience, but you sound like you have a lot of confidence and you certainly have plenty of knowledge about what to do (and what not to do) in terms of how to manage a classroom. Hopefully you will have a great mentor for your internship; that is such a vital experience, especially for instilling the confidence you need in transitioning from being the student to being the teacher.
Best wishes,
darcey