Saturday, September 18, 2010

Jimdo is Awesome!

So, in my last post, I forgot to mention this really cool web 2.0 tool that I was introduced to over the summer. It's called Jimdo, and in a nutshell, it is a really simple way to create a website. This is a great tool for a number of reasons: for one, it is incredibly user friendly. The most amateur of web users could figure this out on their own. It also has a bunch of really neat features already built into it, such as options to add picture galleries, videos, blogs and rss feeds. It also allows for html editing, so you can customize it any way you want (if you know how to work with html). The school day is not long enough, so having a class website is a really great way to extend learning outside of the physical classroom, especially since most students have internet access. With Jimdo, you can post lessons, embed video clips, add attachments, such as Powerpoint notes, have news feeds which automatically update, create blogs and even add a contact section for students and parents to reach you at. For those of us who are not currently teaching and are looking for a job, it is also a great way to display your work in a neat and easily accessible format. I've taken the liberty to post a link to my Jimdo site, which consists of a section strictly dedicated to my professional profile and as well as a section dedicated to a sample course website that I designed. Feel free to make suggestions on how I might be able to improve it, and then make your own website. Also, see below, a video on how Jimdo works.

My Jimdo site

No comments:

Post a Comment