Friday, February 12, 2010

Precious and Observing

So, early this week, I watched the film Precious for my Teaching with Film class. Maybe some of you have seen it? If you haven't, I highly recommend it. I won't give away anything here, but I will say that it took me some time to calm my emotions and write my reflection. It was an intense film, to say the least. If you are in the Urban Ed Certificate program, you should definitely not miss this movie.

On another note, I had my first experience as a tutor this week. It was great! We sat in small groups and the setting was pretty informal. Each student had a question in regards to their history class and I helped guide them to the answer. We touched on women's suffrage, and immigration during the Civil War era. Though some students spoke more than others, all of them had something to contribute to the conversation. When we came across a word we were unfamiliar with, we whipped out a dictionary and a thesaurus. From here I was able to briefly touch on the importance of utilizing the resources available to them. When they were done, I reviewed their notes quickly and signed off on their participation in the discussion. I noticed in their notes that there were a lot spelling errors. Even many of the common words were misspelled. That aside, the notes were generally comprehensive of the discussion. The thing I liked most was being able to connect some of the concepts we discussed about the Civil War with other later historical events.

No comments:

Post a Comment